Impelo is a charitable organisation that seeks to share the transformational power of dance as far and wide as possible, connecting people of all ages and walks of life in joyful expression. Everybody dancing – for themselves, each other and a better life.
At Impelo we create projects, programmes and productions which explore how dance can respond to health and social inequalities, creative learning and sustainability. Based in Powys, rural mid Wales we have a great reputation as an innovator of participatory dance practice https://www.impelo.org.uk
Through funding from Foyle Foundation we are delighted to be able to offer 4 collaborative incubation residencies, pairing up Impelo dance associates with recent graduates, or people considering returning to dance, over a 2 week period this Summer. We think this will be a great way of supporting our existing dance associates and bring new dancers to Powys to evolve their practice through a collaborative process.
We want to bring fresh creative energy into Powys by getting to know new dancers at the beginning of their careers and explore how we might work together in the future.
The programme aims:
- To nurture recent graduates (2019, 2020 and 2021) and those returning to dance or moving from professional performance to community dance practice through a bespoke programme of workshops, classes and advice surgeries;
- To raise awareness of the community dance landscape in Powys and to develop the ecology through building new relationships with new dancers in or around Powys.
We will select dancers who are interested in developing their community dance practice and connect with the region. We hope HATCH will contribute to a sense of community with the talented dancers here.
What we are offering:
- A ten day incubation residency (online or at our Dance Centre in Llandrindod Wells, subject to Covid restrictions) and collaboration partner from the Impelo team; ;
- Shadowing opportunities;
- Practical workshops on delivering inclusive community dance sessions and making dance performance for specific audiences and communities;
- Career development support and one to one advice surgeries;
- Company class;
- An opportunity to share current work in development or developed during the residency;
- £700 fee
Who we are seeking:
- Recent or about to graduate dancers who are curious about developing their careers in Powys as community dance practitioners and dance makers – either currently or planning on living in Powys, Wales or the Borders, or having grown up in Powys;
- Dancers seeking to return to dance, or curious about community dance practice;
- We particularly welcome applications from currently underrepresented dance practitioners deaf, disabled, neurodivergent, Welsh speakers and POC (and we understand and appreciate that these dancers may not have come through traditional dance training routes);
- Dancers who can demonstrate how the incubation will benefit them in developing their careers;
- Dancers who are ambitious to challenge themselves, their collaborators and us;
- We especially encourage applications from people who come from a background that is under-represented in dance.
The incubation residency will run from Monday 26th July and end on Friday 6th August 2021.
Send us a recorded (audio or video) or written statement telling us about yourself, and how you think the incubation residency will help to develop your practice by 9am Monday 28th June 2021.
Via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
30th June – Zoom Interviews
2nd July – Notified